Translucent papers have notched up the standards of card making. Nowadays, wedding invites, birthday cards, Christmas cards, etc., all get adorned with vellum. The dewy or transparency look seems to pair perfectly with certain colors
Due to the cost, purchasing cards with vellum prints can be rather tough. Buying hundreds of them will leave a hole in your wallet.
If you yearn for vellum printed cards, then we have an easy solution for you. Simply print out your vellum invites!
Wondering what you need?
Just the best printer for vellum paper!
Give us a few minutes to introduce you to some.
What Kind Of Printer Will Print On Vellum Paper?
Laser printers and inkjet printers are both ideals for printing on vellum.
While using inkjet technology to make prints, make sure you are using inkjet-compatible vellum. These have slightly porous surfaces that can absorb water-based or alcohol-based ink. You will need to alter the printer settings to get good quality output. Once the vellum paper has been printed upon, let it air dry.
While using laser printing technology, you will need laser-compatible vellum. These mix well with heat and do not melt. You need to change the paper thickness to light to accommodate the paper, though. This permits the paper to be rolled in without causing a jam.
What To Look For Before Buying A Printer For Vellum Paper?
Purchasing a printer is not an easy task. The market is filled with thousands of printing machines, each boasting about its unique features. You need to be able to seek the features that will assist you in the vellum printing process.
As mentioned before, laser and inkjet printing technology are the ideal choices for printing on vellum. You need to choose one of the two.
Laser printers fuse the powdered ink present in the toner to vellum paper. This decreases the risk of causing smears or bleeds. However, not all vellums react well to the process due to the heat.
With inkjet printers, you need to be a little careful while purchasing. This is because the nozzles present in the print heads need to be able to spray alcohol or water-based inks.
Versatile printing machines are needed for printing on vellum paper. Your printer should be able to handle papers of varying sizes and thicknesses. Only then can your print on vellum, which comes in a huge range of dimensions and weights.
The device’s handling capacity also needs to be kept into consideration. Some printers have the capacity to hold 100 sheets, while others might hold up to 500. You need to think about your printing needs before purchasing. If you intend to use it only for home printing, then a device with a small handling capacity is enough. However, if you want to use it for large-scale projects like opening a card-making store, then consider buying a printer with a large handling capacity.
A high-resolution printer always manages to get a better output than a low-resolution one. Although you will not be able to print detailed images on vellum, choose a high-resolution printer. This will ensure that your output quality is superior; any texts printed out will be sharp.
Connectivity contributes to convenience. Purchase a printer that works with wireless connectivity so that you can print from the comfort of your seat.
If the place where you intend to keep the printer does not receive a good Wi-Fi signal, buy a printer with wired connectivity. This will make sure your workflow remains uninterrupted.
Another desirable feature is cloud connectivity. Cloud printing will let you print from all devices without causing any hassle.
Look for special features like auto document feeder or automatic two sides printing. This will help you participate in hand-free printing tasks. You can also save time and resources while printing.
If you want to participate in large-scale printing tasks, choose a printer with fast printing speed. This will help in getting the job done quicker.
5 Best Printer For Vellum Paper Reviews
1. Canon TS5120 Wireless All-in-One Printer
The Canon TS5120 printer brings nothing but comfort to the buyer’s door. With its compact size and wireless connectivity, it will eliminate messiness from your crafting desk. It is compatible with smartphones, tablets, laptops, and PCs. Cloud printing is also enabled, which allows direct printing from any app.
As a multipurpose printing machine, the Canon TS5120 can be used to scan in designs for your vellum prints. You can later use this to make prints or several copies of vellum cards and distribute them amongst friends.
The Canon TS5120 is termed as both a photo and document printer. This makes it ideal for card making, which requires crisp texts as well as detailed images. Auto 2-sided printing helps in removing the trouble of refeeding.
To make your vellum printing tasks easier, this printer also comes with a 5 inch LCD touchscreen. As a result, inputting commands is made straightforward and convenient. In addition, as a gift, users are assigned a set of ink cartridges when they purchase the printer. This makes the first few prints free.
Vellum papers are lightweight and delicate. Therefore, they need to be handled with care to prevent creasing or folds. The printer takes care of this with its paper support system that includes a front and a rear paper tray. These hold up the paper properly before and after printing.
- It has a big paper handling capacity so, it can handle high volume printing.
- As only two ink cartridges are used, the cost per page is reduced.
- Maximum print size is ideal for printing cards with vellum.
- Inkjet printing technology provides users with desirable output.
- Users have to hand feed documents due to the unavailability of ADF.
2. Canon Pixma iX6820 Wireless Business Printer
This printer is even more suitable for high-volume printing with a slightly higher speed than the Canon TS5120. As a result, many pieces of vellum paper can be printed upon in a minute. In addition, a maximum sheet size of 13 x 19 inches increases your size options for vellum printing.
The Canon Pixma iX6820 Wireless Business printer accommodates Ethernet, USB, and wireless connections. This also allows it to be compatible with several devices and operating systems. As a result, users can partake in vellum printing from Android phones, iPhones, tablets, iPods, Macs, Chromebooks, etc.
With a total of 5120 nozzles dedicated to the printing procedure, all vellum printing standards are met. The printer also manages to offer the highest resolution amongst all the printers on the list. 9600 x 2400 dots per inch provide an incomparable output quality.
The Canon Pixma iX6820 Wireless Business printer also holds some other unique features. A Quiet Mode is available, which grants a printing time without any noisy distractions. In addition, you can utilize the Auto Power On mode to save energy. This turns off the printer when there are no tasks to handle but switches it on only when a file is sent for printing.
- Auto document feeder removes the trouble of hand-feeding documents.
- Various sizes of vellum paper can be printed.
- Both wired and wireless connectivity consent to uninterrupted communication.
- Cloud printing permits printing from all devices.
- Does not have an auto 2-sided printing feature.
3. HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
With top-notch features, the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 All-in-One printer is worth its cost. Wide-format printing is supported so vellum papers of dimensions 11 x 17 inches can be printed upon. In addition, a high resolution helps in achieving commendable results.
At a low cost, buyers are given a multipurpose machine that has scanning, copying, and faxing abilities. You can use the scan bed to get soft copies of designs that seem appealing. This can later be printed out in a resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi.
Users of the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 All-in-One printer can rest while the printer uses the auto document feeder to roll in the vellum. With simple commands, they can enable the auto duplex printing feature to print on both sides of their vellum at once.
A printing speed of 21 ppm for black and white prints and 18 ppm for colored prints quickens the vellum printing process. With a few clicks on the 2.65-inch colored touchscreen, users can make prints commands and navigate their workflow.
Setting up, ordering toners, performing scanning tasks, connectivity, all is made effortless with the HP smart app. Cloud printing service also allows printing from all devices.
- The printer is always network-ready.
- Running cost is decreased because of the long-lasting high-yield ink cartridges.
- Two paper trays make it easier to handle the thin vellum papers.
- The media handling capacity of 500 sheets permits high volume printing.
- Due to the large dimensions, the printer takes up a lot of space.
4. Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer C11C617121
With the fastest printing speed in the entire list, the Epson Stylus C88+ manages those who participate in large-scale printing. Black and white prints can be made at a speed of 23 ppm and colored prints at 14 ppm.
Besides the printing speed, the compatibility makes the device worthy of praise. A wide array of types of paper, including vellum, are supported in an even wider range of sizes. Moreover, the printer’s usage is not only limited to vellum printing. You can also extend your crafting to cardstock, glossy photo paper, matte paper, etc.
Connectivity with a wide range of devices and operating system invites all users. Whether you use Mac operating system, Windows, or Android laptops, similar features are made available. In addition, several networking options make the printer versatile.
Using the Epson Stylus C88+ Inkjet Printer, you can receive prints of resolution up to 5760 x 1440 dpi. The pigmented DURABrite Ultra ink is used to provide all the necessary shades. In addition, they make the vellum prints much more resistant to water.
One problem, though, is the printer’s lifespan. It is not known to last for several years; however, users don’t mind replacing it due to the low cost.
- An easy-to-use photo editing software can be paired to increase convenience.
- Ink sets nicely on vellum to offer stunning output.
- USB and parallel ports authorize a secure transfer of data between printers and devices.
- It uses up little power to function.
- 4 ink cartridges contribute to the expense.
5. Brother Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer MFC – J895DW
Although this printer does not offer as high-resolution prints as others on the list, you should not shy away from it! Once you pair it up with genuine brother ink cartridges, the output quality will not disappoint you. In addition, these ink cartridges do not run out often, so; you will not have to spend too much on every page.
Users can print several sizes of vellum, with the maximum dimension being 8.5 x 14 inches. In addition, auto 2-sided printing decreases the burden of feeding your vellum paper twice.
The Brother MFC – J895DW inkjet printer only recognizes wired and wireless connections. This makes it compatible with smartphones, laptops, and PCs. Near-field communication technology even allows printing and scanning without prior connections.
One of the biggest plus points is the simplicity of this printing machine. The setting up procedure takes a few seconds, and a 2.7-inch touch screen makes inputting commands uncomplicated.
While printing vellum, you need to print out one page at a time. The Brother MFC – J895DW inkjet printer takes care of that with its 1-sheet bypass tray. Only a single page is held and passed to prevent smudging.
- Compatible with several devices and cloud printing is supported.
- An automatic document feeder makes the printing process less demanding for the user.
- Printing speed allows large volume printing.
- The printer is very compact and takes up little space.
- The colors might seem a little dull on your vellum.
- Runs self-cleaning cycles at odd times.
Tips For Printing On Vellum Paper
- Use authentic inks for printing. Due to their low quality, generic third-party inks are more likely to smear or not even set on vellum paper.
- Print only one paper at a time. As vellum papers take time to dry, if another paper immediately comes out to the output tray, the prints will get smeared onto each other.
- Buy the vellum paper according to your printer. Different types of vellum papers are available for inkjet and laser printing technologies. You need to purchase the type that matches your printer. Laser compatible vellums react well to heat whereas, inkjet compatible vellums are a little porous to absorb ink.
- Print on the right side of your vellum paper. The stickier side is more permeable and does a better job at absorbing ink.
- Let the ink dry. Once your printer provides you with an output, leave it aside for a while. This will let the ink dry on the paper and make sure no smudges are created.
- Experiment with printer settings. Doing several test runs with different settings each time will help you identify which configurations give the best output. You can also examine any instructions given with your vellum paper to identify the right settings.
- Choose the right image. Flamboyant and detail-oriented are not ideal for vellum paper. To maintain get the best results, choose something that is light-toned.
- Leave margins on your print. Remember that you will need to hold the paper to leave it aside for drying.
- Maintain some space between letters. While printing texts, it is best to leave some gaps in between. This will make sure that bleeding causes no errors.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which Side Do You Print On Vellum?
To find out which side of vellum you should print on, dampen your finger and rub it on both sides of the paper. The size that seems stickier will be the one you should print on. This is because the stickier side is more porous and less plastic-like. So, it does a better job at absorbing the ink and getting your required prints.
2. What Is The Thickest Vellum Paper?
Translucent vellum cardstocks tend to be the most weighty vellum paper. This is because they are thick, and their weight can range between 48 lbs to 54 lbs. Such vellum papers have a thickness similar to that of 65 lbs cardstock paper.
Cardstock vellums are easier to print due to their thickness. In addition, they are sturdy, can be easily rolled into the printer, and are less likely to get creases or folds. This also makes them more suitable for making invitation cards.
3. Can You Print Photos On Vellum Paper?
Yes, photos can be printed on vellum paper. However, you cannot expect the look to remain as seen on screen. Often while printing photos on vellum, you need to make sure the image doesn’t have too many details. It must not contain too many bright colors either. Light colors and pastel-toned images will get you good results.
4. Is Vellum Paper Good For Screen Printing?
Vellum paper can be used for screen printing, but it is not the most ideal choice. However, the material is cheap, always available, and comes in various sizes – these factors act as an advantage.
Nonetheless, it is prone to shrinkage and has other poor reactions when in contact with heat. Although these problems can be eliminated, they require time and effort. So, most people choose silk or mesh screens instead.
5. What Ink Can I Use On Vellum Paper?
Alcohol-based inks are regularly used to print on vellum paper. This is because they dry quicker and leave the stunning effect everyone is looking for. Besides this, water-based dyes are also used to print on vellum paper. They set nicely onto the paper and give a fantastic contrast with the dewiness of translucent vellum paper.
Regular inks have a hard time getting onto the non-porous surface of vellum papers.
6. How Do You Print On Vellum Paper?
Things you will need:
- Printer-friendly vellum paper
- A suitable printer
- Place your vellum paper on the printer’s manual feed tray. Make sure the right side is facing up.
- As vellum is translucent, you will want your printer to lay less ink on it. Hence, you need to make changes to the printer settings accordingly. For example, instead of choosing the Best option in printing mode, select the Daft option.
- Alter the Paper Type to transparency paper or glossy paper. The Paper Thickness should be set to light.
- Edit the image or text file that you are going to print. You should avoid using bright colors and make sure to leave a margin.
- Click on the Print button once everything is set. Remember to print only one page at a time to avoid smudging.
- Once you receive your output, lay it on a flat surface to let it dry.
Plenty of information has been provided regarding the enjoyable process of vellum printing. In addition, several tips and bits of advice have also been presented to ensure a fun printing journey that will result in craft pieces.
We have also tried our best to assist you in finding the best printer for vellum paper. Look into all the features they have to offer, and with some help from the buying guide, pick a printer.
Get to printing and share the invites with your friends and family!